Friday, December 19, 2008

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Success

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein

TOPIC OF THE DAY

Value based Education

For a number of years I have been thinking about the art of education. In 1990, I attended a conference for women religious in Ireland and each participant was asked to say in a sentence something about their ministry. Without hesitation, I replied "I touch the future. I teach". (1)

When I ponder what is happening in some colleges and schools today, I am both frightened and frustrated by the fact that too many students see college as a proving ground rather than a training ground. Many teachers and students spend their time trying to convince others that they are knowledgeable rather than concentrating on knowing. Admitting ignorance is hard. Yet if the truth were known, we all know very, very little.

Having a degree should not give people power. Real power is being able to make the choice between good or evil, life and death, between empowerment and nurturing of people or putting people down. Education is too often viewed as the exit route to a better lifestyle rather than the beginning of a journey, which will take a lifetime.

Read on...

LATEST ARRIVALS

PowerPoint 2007 For Dummies
Doug Lowe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home