Thursday, March 31, 2011

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Satisfaction

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching." - Anonymous

TOPIC OF THE DAY

Managing Yourself: What Brain Science Tells Us About How to Excel

As a child psychiatrist, I’m asked every day to help a struggling young person do better. For example, I recently saw a boy I’ll call Tommy, who was floundering in sixth grade in spite of increasingly vehement exhortations from his teachers and parents to try harder. I could see how downcast he was, so I immediately turned to a process I’ve developed for kids like him. It began with figuring out what he liked to do (build things and play guitar) and what he was good at (math, science, music, and hands-on projects) and urging him to do those things more often. I also arranged for him to be switched out of a class where there was a clear conflict with the teacher and into one where he felt more at ease, and I advised the adults in his life to make sure he was imaginatively engaged in the classroom, not just sitting there, bored. I told them to challenge Tommy but not in a punishing way; the message should be “I’m asking more from you because I know you have it in you.” Within weeks, he was working harder and was even eager to go to school. He started to receive positive feedback, which fueled his desire to work harder still.
Read on...

LATEST ARRIVALS

Essential advantage : how to win with a capabilities-driven strategy/Paul Leinwand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home